Empirical Linguistics and Language Documentation
MA in Modern Languages
2 years (four semesters), 915 contact hours, 122 ECTS credit points. Start: every year, winter semester.
Download a program description: ELLDo_programdescription
Program for students starting in the academic year 2018/2019
|Modules||semester||contact hours||exam||ECTS credits|
|Documentary linguistics||I, II||60||1||9|
|Spoken language analysis||I, II||60||1||7|
|Methods and applications||I, III, IV||120||3||21|
|Statistics for linguistic analyses||II||30||1||6|
|Language typology and descriptive linguistics||I||30||0||3|
|Additional lectures (module of choice)||III, IV||90||1||9|
|MA seminary||I, II, III, IV||120||1||28|
|Foreign language||I, II, III, IV||240||1||24|
|English for academic purposes||I, II, III||90||1||10|
|Introduction to economics||I, II||45||0||3|
|Introduction to desktop publishing software||I||30||0||2|
- Documentary Linguistics introduces principles of language documentation and archiving and teaches techniques and tools for gathering, annotating, storing, and managing linguistic data;
- Spoken Language Analysis focuses first on theoretical and technical aspects of speech analysis (phonetics), and in the second term on the grammar of spoken discourse, the structure of conversations and oral narratives;
- Language Typology and Descriptive Linguistics explains how to capture cross-linguistic similarities and differences and how to describe structurally diverse languages;
- Statistics for Linguistic Analysis makes students understand the role of statistical analyses in a variety of linguistic disciplines and enables them to use the proper methods and tools in their own research;
- Methods and Applications is a module comprising classes which introduce methods of empirical research in various subfields of linguistics (especially: sociolinguistics, psycholinguistics, corpus linguistics), and classes teaching applications of linguistics, for example, in lexicography, preparing of teaching materials, language planning and language revitalization.
- Additional lectures provide further possibilities to acquire knowledge and skills in topics chosen by the student;
- A Foreign Language other than English is taught over the whole cycle and can be chosen from the offer at the Institute of Linguistics (in some cases it will be possible to take the language classes in other departments). Students are especially encouraged to study a lesser taught language.
- Classes in English for Academic Purposes help students better understand academic texts in English and provide them with the necessary skills to present their own research in speaking and writing.
- The MA Seminar accompanies the students through the process of doing research and writing a thesis. In the first semester students are introduced to research methods in linguistics and learn how to design a study and find a topic for their thesis. After that, students will develop their research in small groups with a supervisor.
- New in the academic year 2018/2019: Introduction to economics for all MA students of the Faculty of Modern Languages and Linguistics. The lecture and practical class can be taken in Polish or English.
- New in the academic year 2018/2019: Practical introduction to desktop publishing, where students learn to use programs such as QuarkXpress and Scribus. Classes available in Polish and English.